Let’s dive directly into our line-up of range bags. You can find the purchasing tips at the end of the article.
- 1 The Top 11 Range Bag/Backpack Reviews
- 1.1 1. Maxpedition Compact Range Bag
- 1.2 2. Vertx A-Range Bag
- 1.3 3. G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack
- 1.4 4. Osage River Tactical Shooting Gun Range Bag
- 1.5 5. Backpack + Range Bag with Large Padded Deluxe Tactical Divider and 9 Clip Mag Holder – Rangemaster Gear Bag Explorer
- 1.6 6. UTG All-in-1 Ultimate Range Competition Bag
- 1.7 7. Explorer Tactical Range Ready Bag
- 1.8 8. GunMate Range Bag
- 1.9 9. Explorer Tactical 12 Pistol Padded Gun and Gear Bag
- 1.10 10. G.P.S. Tactical Range Backpack
- 1.11 11. G4Free Modular Range Bag
- 2 Buying Tips: How to choose your range bag
The Top 11 Range Bag/Backpack Reviews
What impresses us the most on the Maxpedition Compact Range Bag is the high quality of craftsmanship, which gives you a long lasting range bag that holds up the intense use for quite some time.
However, it’s not only the heavy duty built of the range bag that helps it stand out from the crowd, it’s also the material is made of. The range bag is finished with a triple coat of polyurethane that gives it water resistance. The final coat of DuPont Teflon fabric Protector gives you a bag that repels the elements.
The YKK zippers fit the strong build and the high quality materials and the zippers are tough, ready for the heavy-duty use.
The straps are also a great feature on the bag as they are made of military grade nylon Webbing. The same material is used for the handles and the modular attachment points, sustaining the strong built of the range bag.
The Duraflex buckles and the hardware are sure tough and resistant, so there’s no way you can doubt the durability of the features on the bag. The buckles are silent, which is so important when you’re out there on a mission.
Going over the details, we notice the large and unseamed panels made with 1000Denier Nylon. The attention to the small details is impressive and each stress point is reinforced thoroughly with composite thread. There are no unnecessary seams or polyester parts and the bag becomes lightweight, yet so durable.
As for the storing options, we see the 4 spacious exterior zippered pouches and pockets and the big, large interior compartment.
We like the range bag as it versatile and subtle and its removable tote fits most handguns. You may use the bag for several firearms and accessories and you have a place to store your ammo as well.
The abrasion-resistant ballistic nylon fabric makes the bag lightweight, whereas the padded compartments store safely your weapons, with minimal risk for scratching.
The paracord zipper pulls are so useful for easier use and the zippers run so smooth.
The strap is well padded for more comfort and the bag is versatile and dependable.
The range bag has a solid, rigid built and holds its shape for quite some time. It’s easy to take care of it as the material is treated with Teflon for water and grime resistance. You should avoid machine washing or use of detergent and bleach. You only need to wipe it down with a damp cloth from time to time, letting it dry naturally.
Let’s pinpoint the things we appreciate highly on the bag:
- The material and craftsmanship is high quality
- The range bag is water and grime resistant
- It has a strong build and holds its shape for a long time
- It comes with a removable tote
We wouldn’t mind to see some minor changes:
- Some believe it’s a bit pricey
- The clips on the shoulder straps are made of plastic
Nevertheless, for its amazing build, high quality materials and functionality when out on the field, the range bag is a great investment for any gun owner.
Some of us out there really see the Vertx A-Range Bag as a near perfectly designed range bag and you need to read on to get a better understanding of why I’m saying this.
You may also check out the Vertx B Range Bag.
The bag is made with 100% nylon that can take the heavy-duty use, but it’s definitely the design that makes the bag stand out from so many models.
You actually get plenty of options to organize your gear and you can easily fit, for instance 2 full size handguns in the side compartment, two compacts in the side pockets of the upper deck and two full size handguns in the rugs in the main compartment. The ammunition compartment may store a dozen of 30-round AR mags or boxes of ammo.
The bag features a compartmented garage deck with pullout drawers so that you may hold your ammo and accessories separate, yet easy at access.
The dual drawers have pull handle and also mesh-bottom drawstring bags for storing your smaller items. The brass store is durable and doesn’t pick up dirt or grease easily.
The lay flat front opening presents a surface that is hook compatible and may serve you as a cleaning rug as well.
The bag features attachment points on the shoulder straps and hook compatible surfaces in every compartment. It has a cable affixed that may work with your favorite locking cable.
The pull out compartments, the shelf type system really make the range bag a great choice to consider. The steel coil that loops under the bag for security if you want to apply a lock is an important detail and the outside pockets are well padded.
Highlighting the most important pros:
- The bag is for the heavy-duty use
- It gives amazing options for organizing your gear
- It has a great build and a lock down cable system against smash/grab theft
- It presents plenty of surfaces that are hook compatible
Here are the cons:
- This isn’t the cheapest range bag out there
- Some reported the nylon zipper tabs getting broken after a while
All things considered, for the ability to organize so well your gear and to be so reliable, the range bag is a good investment to make.
When you want to use as a range bag, a range backpack, you can start with this G.P.S. Handgunner Backpack.
This pack gives you great organization of your multiple items and there are many other good features that it offers:
- The backpack holds 4 handguns in a vertical position
- The foam cradle fully protects your gear
- The inside high density foam storage cradle slides in and out of the lower compartment
- It gives you 12 extra magazine spots
- There are many pockets, pouches in pouches for your ammo, shooting glasses, ear protections, stapler, tape and everything else you might need
- The top section is bigger than in pictures
- You get labeled compartments
- The backpack comes with its own “raincoat” for the rainy days
- It has a rugged construction and a good build – the backpack stands up on its own even when unloaded
- The side straps are comfortable
- The backpack is well balanced
- There are pockets and zippers everywhere
- The side pockets fit even 6 extra mags each
- There is great, smart design that went into this backpack
Besides these good things, some minor improvements may be made. Here are our cons:
- There is no insert for the small items
- The adjustable straps could use a better quality so they don’t tear from the weight
- The backpack gives you so much space for your items, that you keep on loading it… And you discover that the fully loaded pack is too heavy.
- The backpack doesn’t fit a larger revolver.
But, if you want to have a range backpack, this is a great buy for sure.
You may found yourself mislead by the Osage River Tactical Shooting Gun Range Bag, as the bag does look like a gym bag from the outside, but sure doesn’t disappoint with its great gunning look on the inside.
The bag is spacious and gives you plenty of compartments, increasing your options to organize and fit your accessories. You may actually fit in there small to mid-size handguns and the pistol pouches are great. You may also find space for your ammo and your accessories as well.
You get no less than 9 different storage compartments, so the bag is good for organizing your items. It’s main compartment is dividable, whereas the five zippered compartments increase the storage options. The two pistol pouches are easy to remove and you may combine it for other storage configurations.
The bag features two vertical dividers so you may organize the main compartment according to your needs and wants. The outer compartments include 10 magazine/accessory pockets, so you may find a place for every single item you have.
The bag is made with heavy-duty 600D ballistic nylon so it takes the intense use rather well. The zippers match the durable materials, running and easy to open even when hand gloved. Each of the zippers feature locking rings and the zipper pulls are covered with metal.
The bag comes with handle and shoulder strap so it’s easy to carry around. It doesn’t matter where you go or how you’re going to wear it, the bag is ready.
Every pocket and pouch of the bag is well padded so all of your items are protected. None of your gear rubs or bangs against one another. All by one are double zippered also.
The rugged build and the good design complete the description of a bag that is made here at home, in our USA.
Let’s list the most important pros:
- The bag offers 9 different storage compartments
- It’s made with 600D ballistic nylon and takes the intense use
- It has durable, large zippers with metal coated pulls
- It has a strong build, even though it’s lightweight
We do have some minor issues to note:
- It has a chemical smell in the beginning
- Some got the bag without the shoulder strap
The minor cons don’t count much though as the bag is way too spacious and well organized, being ready for the heavy-duty use. In addition, this definitely counts a lot more for one of the best range bags like the Osage River bag.
5. Backpack + Range Bag with Large Padded Deluxe Tactical Divider and 9 Clip Mag Holder – Rangemaster Gear Bag Explorer
When you take a look at the Backpack + Range Bag with Large Padded Deluxe Tactical Divider and 9 Clip Mag Holder – Rangemaster Gear Bag Explorer, versatility is first thing to pop your mind.
The backpack is an interesting bag to carry your shooting equipment, to say the least. Once you opened the side flap, you get to see the 5 internal handgun and magazine storage rooms that are protected by their own, lockable compartments.
The backpack also features exterior pockets that are zippered, whereas the top section is great to organize more ammo, due to the rigid internal frame.
The elastic loops store rolled targets and the backpack also comes with a pullout rain cover that protects your gear when raining.
The list of features doesn’t stop here and it also includes wide straps, backside laptop compartment, thick wood board and Velcro for easier folding. The shoulder straps aren’t just well padded, but also fully adjustable
The backpack also comes with a very large compartment and two elastic at back for holding more small gear. You may also notice the extra compartment at the lower pocket lid and the heavy-duty padded nylon material.
If we talk about the heavy-duty material, we also need to talk about the reinforced double-stitched nylon seaming, the coil zipper and the molded nylon buckles.
We have to mention the large rear water hydration bladder pocket and the three external pockets at left.
We like a lot the top-mounted compression straps that balance well the weight and load, giving stability.
The backpack is very modular and gives you the chance to better organize your gear.
Well-made, highly customizable, and heavy duty, the backpack is actually very easy to handle even when fully loaded. It’s easy to put it together and it has a durability feel to it.
Let’s list the things we like the most:
- The backpack is highly customizable and heavy duty
- It’s modular and comes with compression straps
- It fits and organizes many of your gear
- It’s well made and comes with adjustable shoulder straps, well-padded
Let’s mention the cons as well:
- The fastener for the shoulder straps doesn’t hold very well
- The instructions that come along aren’t quite user friendly
For its quality, heavy-duty built and ability to be customized, the backpack is a great option for you and your gear.
Built with high quality, strong synthetic fabric, the UTG All-in-1 Ultimate Range Competition Bag is ready to take not only the common tasks, but also the more challenging conditions.
The bag is very well made and comes with a good design so it stores and organizes your gear nice and easy. It gives you plenty of room and quite a versatile design for storage.
Taking a closer look at the bag lets us see the pullout bag with the adjustable dividers, the 2 removable pistol cases and the two brass bags that come with tough handles and a shoulder strap as well. The bag isn’t just portable, but also versatile and easy to use, no matter the conditions of transportation.
The additional shoulder strap is also adjustable and comes with a strong D-ring and a non-slip grip texture, whereas the wrap-around carry handles are reinforced for durability and flexible carry.
The open top of the bag presents a dual zipper closer so you get easy access to the main compartment. The main compartment features 2 inside wall pockets, giving you even more room for storage.
The external pockets offer more options and space for storage of smaller items and the padded front pocket comes with 10 elastic loops to hold your other accessories and it’s also fully open-able. The opposite side padded front pocket has a gun cleaning mat that is easy to detach and 8 pistol mag pouches as well.
The side compartments are zippered and give you easy access to your ammo. Each of them as a clear ID pocket for faster identification.
The stitching is reinforces and the zippers are heavy-duty. The bag is well made and is larger than it looks.
Let’s make a very short list of main features:
- The bag gives you plenty of room for your gear
- It organizes well your items
- It comes with a removable pull-out bag and internal dividers that are easy to adjust
- The list of features is impressive
We wouldn’t mind to see some slight changes:
- You can’t lock the main compartment
- It’s a matter of taste, but the blue zippers may seem a bit obvious to some
Despite the minor flaws, the range bag is still a dependable choice as it gives plenty of space and good organization options for your gear.
With almost $50 you can buy an amazingly sturdy, well-built range bag with many organizational options like the Explorer Tactical Range Ready Bag.
Offering plenty of space and pouches, this bag got us with these pros:
- It’s versatile and functional in many range situations
- You can fit the ear and eye protection, ammo, magazines, pistols and cleaning kit in this bag
- It’s made of 600-denier polyester for extra durability
- You get seven magazine pouches in the front compartment and four magazine pouches in the rear compartment
- It contains 2 zipper handgun pouches on the outer side
- There are adjustable and removable inner parts so that you can customize the main compartment to your needs
- The carrying handles and shoulder strap are made of heavy-duty nylon and take the heavy loads also
- The plastic feed to the bottom brings more protection to your gear
- The padded pockets protect your valuable firearms and accessories
- There are good, heavy zippers with thick pulls and knotted nylon ends
- The handles are triple stitched
- The bag fits at least 5 handguns and gives you 11 magazine pouches altogether
- The magazine pouches are deeper than they appear
- This looks like a regular bag so it doesn’t get your neighbor’s attention
There are only two things bothering us about this range bag:
- It’s not waterproof
- There are no zippers for the removable pouches in the side compartments.
As one can see, this qualifies for a great range bag anytime.
When your budget is limited but you still expect to get a good range bag, get yourself the GunMate Range Bag with Removable Hook and Loop Dividers.
This bag gives you many good features to consider and these are our pros:
- It gives you two lockable outer pockets coupled with roomy gun mags
- The zipper is lockable
- The side compartments include padded pistol rugs
- There are zippers on both for easy and quick access
- The zippers, pulls and snaps have good quality
- The interior is highly customizable as it has 2 Velcro divider tabs
- You can easily fit 2 guns
- The bag has a good, sturdy built
- The main compartment has removable hook and loop dividers
- The side compartments are lockable, zippered and each hold a removable padded pistol rug
- The price is unbeatable
Despite all of these qualities, there are some things we’re not really fond of so hear our cons:
- There is no Molle webbing on this bag
- The bag is not very large
- The stitching is red, which is not very subtle (it’s stylish though)
- The side pockets look the same so you can’t tell them apart
- The bottom is not reinforced
All in all, you get a good, sturdy and well-built range bag, for a very good price.
If your needs are larger and you want to carry around 12 pistols in your range bag, give it a go with the Explorer Tactical 12 Pistol Padded Gun and Gear Bag.
Apart from the big capacity it gives for your gear, there are more pros to consider:
- There are 13 padded and protected compartments for you to organize your gear
- The bag gives you many nylon-elastic magazine and gear loops in the main compartment and outer compartments
- You get two dedicated weapon pouches in the main compartment
- The padded shoulder strap is quick-release for a faster removal when not in use
- The bag features heavy duty, lockable zippers
- There is good and strong stitching everywhere
- There are ample pockets inside and outside the bag
- You get padding everywhere on this bag so everything is protected all the time
- There are many pockets for your items and gear
- There are external ID windows for easier access
- You get 5 magazine holders
- Even though the bag gives you many organizational options, it doesn’t get bulky when full
Along with these good things, come some minor issues, though:
- There is no Velcro adjustable divider in the large main pocket
- The magazine holders are a bit tight
- Once the center of the bag is full, the storage in the side pockets gets smaller
For the organization and sturdiness this range bag gives you, it’s a great buy on any given day.
Another great backpack made specifically for the range is the G.P.S. Tactical Range Backpack. Along with the comfort and easy access to everything that it offers, this pack comes with many other good features.
- You get three gun cases zippered pouch with a medium sized handgun pouch
- There is good padding and stitching on the shoulder straps
- There is Velcro on top rear of the pack for a better customization of the pack
- The backpack is well built and is made of high denier nylon and DuPont Teflon treatment
- You get easy access to everything
- The internal pouches are well constructed and the Molle webbing and Velcro give more organizational options
- There are heavy duty zippers and sturdy plastic buckles
- The frame maintains the backpack compact
- You can fit your ammo and other items in the 4 outside zippered pockets
- There is an external bungee system for targets
- The main compartment comes with a divider for a better organization
- The backpack fits your cleaning kit in the bottom compartment
- The zippered pouch near the top handle has a rain-shield
Some minor problems do appear on this backpack also, so here are the cons:
- The backpack doesn’t really need a waist strap
- The sleeves have a padded pouch so it’s tricky to fit anything bigger than medium size
- There are too many straps
- The magazine loops are not well sized
- The shoulder straps should be longer
- Even though it’s small, the backpack gets heavy when full and kind of bulky looking
- The zippers are difficult to close on the corner
- The removable compartments don’t look long lasting as the rest of the pack.
Don’t let the price scare you away, as for the money you pay you get a great range backpack that’s worth every single penny, in both build and functionality.
11. G4Free Modular Range Bag
Going shopping on a fixed budget is not picnic, but it doesn’t mean you go back home empty handed.
As long as you’re aware of its limitations, you can definitely give it a try with the G4Free Modular Range Bag that gives you decent space for your gun and gear, for a very good price.
The bag is made of high-density polyester fabric and manages to take the intense use for a good amount of time. A rather lightweight bag presents a 3-way design. You may actually wear it as shoulder bag, waist pouch or handbag, according to your needs or wants in a specific time. Therefore, you shouldn’t worry about its versatility nor portability.
The bag may be rather small, but comes with plenty of storage options, giving you the chance for better organization of your guns and ammo. It features a main compartment, top compartments and front compartments so it’s quite impossible to lose something inside. The bag also presents two side pockets and comes with durable zippers.
The bag has a sturdy construction and the zippers run great. It has also two Molle straps on the back for attaching other various items.
The bag has a compact shape and it’s easy to use and to carry around. The shoulder strap is adjustable and well padded.
Small, lightweight and ready to take some ranging experiences, the bag is a fair option when you don’t want to pay the extra buck.
Going over the good things once again:
- The bag is made with high-density polyester fabric
- It has plenty of pockets and compartments for organizing your gear
- It’s lightweight, yet able to take the intense use
- It comes with Molle straps on the back and one adjustable shoulder strap
As for the parts, we like less:
- The craftsmanship could be better
- The waist strap is placed too low
Nevertheless, for a small price, you get a pretty good range bag that fits plenty of your gear, in a nice, organized way.
Buying Tips: How to choose your range bag
If you’re on the hunt for a range bag, you must probably know by now that it needs to meet some criteria so you can name it a “range bag”.
Why a range bag?
A range bag has to be tough and sturdy so that it can take any wear and abrasion, from inside and outside at the same time. It needs to be strongly built so that it can take the heavy weight from the firearms and ammunition that you carry.
A good range bag gives you also good volume so that it can fit many items, going from your pistol/s and ammo, to some medications and small gear items.
The best range bag has also a different compartment for your pistol/s, so a good organization is important.
Which kind of range bag?
Typically, there are three main categories of bags that qualify as “range bags”.
The first one is, of course, the specific range bag. They are strongly built, are heavy duty and give you plenty of capacity, many various pockets for you to organize your various items.
This is the best choice for a range bag as it gives you compartments especially designed and built for ammo, pistols and any other gun-related items that you might need.
The main downside for the range bag is that… it looks like a range bag all the time, no matter where you take it. For some, looks don’t matter, but there are some that wish their bag not to show everyone what they carry. Of course, it’s legal to carry and use a gun in some situations, but there’s no subtle thing about it when you carry a range bag.
Even though it’s not the most obvious choice, a laptop bag could also become your range bag. It becomes a range bag thanks to its versatility and discretion. The best part about carrying your gun gear in a laptop bag is that nobody knows that you carry a gun in it! The padded compartment that the laptop bags have is great for protecting your gear, and a strong build, along with good organization also add up to it
The easiest solution for carrying a gun is a backpack. It gives you plenty of capacity for all your items and quite good organization and some padding, in the case of a good backpack, but this option has its downsides. A backpack may be too large for your guns and the padding might not be enough to protect your gear.
A combination of the two unspecific bags is the “laptop backpack” which gives you the padded compartment for the gun and a good organization at the same time. You can also find a “covert-carry” backpack that actually offers a designated compartment for your pistol.
In the end, you can make an effort and transform any backpack into a range bag. You just need some space, organization and padding to get a functional range bag.
What to put in a range bag?
Apart from the things that are a completely personal option to carry in your range bag, some things should never miss from any range bag.
The EPIK (Emergency Personal Injury Kit) and rapid-application tourniquet are a must have any time. Of course, this implies to also know how to use these in case of emergency. Never forget your eye and ear protection and a cloth to wipe down your firearm and magazines after practice, ammunition. A notebook and a pen are also important when you want to keep track of your performances just as well.
Some put in the range bag also a cleaning kit and some lube for a better function of their guns. You can also carry useful tools, bandages for minor cuts and a rolls of masking tape wouldn’t hurt either as you can tap up targets with it.
Take a good look at your needs and preferences when you go shopping for a range bag. No matter if you go for a subtle range bag (that doesn’t look like one) or a professional bag, keep in mind that it needs to be sturdy with great built and organizational options and be comfortable at the same time.